About Lawn & Golf Supply Co. Inc.
In 1937, Joseph W. Holman, a lawn mower salesman since 1926, obtained the franchise to sell Jacobsen lawn mowers in the Philadelphia region. Operating from a one car garage on Chew Avenue in Philadelphia, Joe Holman and his newly acquired partner, George Engle, witnessed the birth of Lawn and Golf. When the U.S. became involved in WWII in 1941, Jacobsen ceased mower manufacturing and devoted its facilities to the war effort. Unable to sell mowers, Joe Holman focused on farm equipment, which was still available on a limited basis. He opened Holman and Engle in Phoenixville, PA as a John Deere farm implement dealership. When the war ended, the Chew Avenue location expanded as the area showed more demand for power mowers.
Jacobsen steadily increased its line with purchases of the Johnson homeowner mowers, and the Worthington Mower Company of Stroudsburg. Worthington was nationally known for its gang mowers and golf course tractors. They were the only manufacturer permitted to assemble mowers during the war. Additional acquisitions included the Rogers and Sodmaster Companies.
During the 1950's, Lawn and Golf opened retail stores in Wilmington, DE and on Bridge Street, Phoenixville, both specializing in general hardware. In 1962, the Chew Avenue branch closed and all operations moved to the current location in Phoenixville. The farm equipment lines were dropped during this transition period.
Today, Lawn & Golf services golf courses, schools, athletic fields, municipalities, cemeteries, horse and tree farms and high acreage home estates with over 50 trusted brands of equipment and hundreds of outdoor power options. In addition, we supply parts and an unmatched service department to our customers.
We thank you, our customer, for supporting us over the last 80 years and we still strive to continue supplying quality products and service at a fair price. We feel personal relationships are even more important in how we do business as the age of technology and communication advances.